The Campus Knoll
The Campus Knoll area is the oldest part of the University of Minnesota campus, dating back to the 1850s. This graceful watercolor painting was created by Josephine Lutz Rollins, who taught art at the University of Minnesota from 1927 to 1965. The painting is undated, but does not show Peik Hall, which was built in 1953 and is visible on the right in the 2016 photograph. One of the pillars marking the campus entrance from University Ave is present at the center left of both images.
Folwell Hall was built in 1907 and designed by architect Clarence H. Johnston, Sr. and named after the University's first president. The 1934 goache was painted by Stanford Fenelle (1909-1995) while he was part of the Works Progress Administration art division. Folwell Hall is part of the Old Campus Historic District and was built to relocate the departments in the University's first building, the Old Main, after it burned down.
Walter Library, built in 1922/23, is one of the main library buildings on campus and one of the most ornate, featuring gold leaf and many relief carvings. The 1934 painting was done by University of Minnesota professor, Cameron Booth, who taught in the Art Department from 1949-1960
These images show students near the pedestrian bridges on the southwest corner of Northrop Mall. The Mall, designed by Cass Gilbert, has retained a similar character over the past 50 years, with sweeping trees surrounding a wide public space.
Bell Museum of Natural History
The later photograph shows the large building addition at the front of the image. This addition was begun in summer 1964 and finished in 1971. Placeography posted many of the design plans for the renovation. The Bell Museum left this building in 2017 for an expanded location on the St. Paul Campus.
Morrill Hall (Administration Building)
Another structure on campus designed by Clarence H, Johnston, Sr., Morrill Hall is known nationally as the site for numerous student protests, particularly the takeover in 1969 by the Afro American Action Committee